09 November 2013

Lemony Cranberry Almond Muffins

Cranberry Almond Muffins
We have company this weekend and I wanted to try a new muffin for breakfast.  I chose this recipe from PCC's latest monthly newsletter (PCC is a local Seattle-based food co-op).   The recipe is not gluten free so I made some adjustments.  They came out heavenly.

The recipe called for whole milk and whole milk yogurt and since I had either 2% or nonfat versions in my fridge, I added some shortening to the recipe and then held my breath to see if they came out ok.  They did!



I also used coconut palm sugar in place of the recipe's brown sugar. Here is what I did:

Cranberry almond muffins

1 1/2 cups Jules almost Normal Gluten Free Flour
2/3 cup corn meal
1/2 cup sugar
muffin batter
1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1  1/2 cups roughly chopped fresh cranberries
2/3 cup plain nonfat greek yogurt
1/2 cup or less coconut oil or other shortening
2/3 cup 2% milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 T lemon juice
1T lemon zest
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sliced almonds (for garnish on top)

Preheat oven to 375° and line muffin tin with paper or silicone cups.

Whisk together dry ingredients.  In a separate bowl, toss two teaspoons of dry mix over chopped cranberries.   Blend together wet ingredients, adding shortening or oil (I used a stand mixer for this part).  Add dry ingredient mix to wet mixture, then fold in cranberries.  Divide evenly between muffin cups and sprinkle almonds on top.

Bake in oven until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, 20-25 minutes.  Let muffins cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove and cool on a wire rack.

Makes 14 muffins.
Karen, herself


1 comment:

Annabellouise said...

These look yummy. Hope your guests enjoyed them.