17 December 2008

Carrot/Radiccio Slaw



Yesterday I decided to finally do something with the half head of cabbage that has been sitting in my vegetable crisper for a few weeks. I planned on using it to make a low-calorie vegetable soup. After making the soup, I found I had a couple of cups of diced cabbage left over. I wanted to make a more interesting salad so I looked around the crisper and found some radiccio and shredded about a half a head of that as well. Then I added some grated carrot, diced apple and about a half a cup of red seedless grapes and a few raw walnuts. I made a vinaigrette out of walnut oil and rice vinegar, drizzled in some agave nectar for sweetness and then added a teaspoon of mayonnaise. The dressing seemed to need more bulk but I didn't want to add any more mayo so I tossed in a couple tablespoons of plain, unflavored nonfat yogurt. The result was this dish, which was so good that even my husband, who is not a fan of radiccio, loved it. It is naturally gluten-free and lower in fat and calories than the usual slaw.

Carrot/Radiccio Slaw

2 cups diced green cabbage
1 large carrot grated
1/2 small head of radiccio, shredded
1 small apple (skin on) diced
1/2 red seedless grapes (sliced in half)
1 oz. or less raw walnut pieces
1 T walnut oil
1T rice vinegar
dash of agave nectar (or honey)
1 heaping teaspoon mayonnaise (I used Best Foods)
2 T plain unflavored nonfat yogurt
salt and pepper

Combine first 6 ingredients in large bowl. Whisk together walnut oil and rice vinegar in a small bowl. Whisk in agave nectar and mayonnaise. Pour over vegetables and toss. Add yogurt to salad and toss again. Salt and pepper to taste.

Makes about 8 servings if using as side dish

Karen, herself

No comments: